Monday, September 26, 2016

Reading Notes: [[Lang's The Fairy Books, Part A]]

[SOME SPOILERS]
1. Cute story of the frogs, I really enjoyed it. I came up with two ideas and I rather like the second one (which was inspired by a photo I found) then 
Human (frogs)-Gatochy/Pinterest
the first one. The first idea is that the two frogs, that wish to travel the world, hatch a plan to see certain towns. The two frogs meet two more frogs. Then after the meeting they make a ladder by standing on top of one another.
As the "ladder begins to sway, they say "Oh, what foolish frogs we are! The wind is to swift, now we must hop down the mountain to our boring lives. How the story is different is I show their lives prior to their misadventure. Highlight the mundane, pretty much. The second idea was based off the see no evil, speak no evil and hear no evil photo. Each frog basically condemns them from seeking out what the wish. The see no evil frog, does not see that the town is filled with vagrants and says it's filled with kind people, so on and so forth. Make frogs human? Hmm... I may make frogs a metaphor.
Mountain Spirit-SacredSites
2. Granting wishes and being never satisfied is the theme for "The Stonecutter". The idea I came up with is that the spirit puts him through different tests to show him that having less is more and etc. I would then make the mountain spirit watch and narrate what happens.
Maiden-UnTextbook
3. Love, love and love this story! "The Maiden in the Wooden Helmet" I could really dive into the relationship some people have with parents. In my version she was told that she was ugly and that she needed to be hidden by her father (I wanted to bring her father more into the story). Her mother convinces her that she would still find the greats kind of love. Not the love of a persons outward beauty, but the love of someone soul and with that acceptance and unconditional love her helmet would disappear and she would gain not only riches, but happiness.
The Dog & Neighbor-WoderfulRife
4. OMG NO!My idea inspired by "The Envious Neighbor" is of course to save the poor dog..OOoo, it made me so angry. Instead of the neighbor doing all these somewhat evil deeds the neighbor gets such ill luck that he is further thrown into poverty and as he asks his neighbors for some rice. They deny saying the knew all along. They would go on to say "you bore ill will to everything we love, we are not like you in any way. Your family will bear good fortune, but you, you will live out in solitude", which he did (dog gave one of the owners a dream about each deed the neighbor did).
The Woman and The Sparrow-DelCampe
5. OUCH OUCH OUCH!What a wicked woman. Now what if the bird fought the woman and clawed HER eyes out. Reverse the torture and make the lady blind. Then as she feels the fortune, in which, her husband brings back from the sparrow-princess house she reside herself to seek out the princess not only to gain her eyesight back (convinced she was magical), but to steel all her riches out of vengeance. The greedy, spiteful women gets lost in the forest and walks into a nest of crows and ultimately dies. Really hammer in the irony of her situation.

P.S. The stories got me so excited that I had to download all the fairy books. I'm not really going in order. I didn't think it mattered, but I have started on the Crimson one :).

No comments:

Post a Comment