Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Story: [[The Damnation of Goddesses]]

Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche Rework
“…Psyche, do not fret, my dear child.”
“We are here for you, Psyche.”
“We will help you and we will protect you.”
“Even if it costs our own happiness,” they said all at once.
Juno(Hera)-Pinterest
They were each so lovely when they formed in front of me. I did not expect to get three. I only prayed for one, but I suppose when you pray to Juno you get Ceres and Minerva. One had hair as blonde as the sun, one had the sweet face of angel and the last had a confidence and fearlessness about her that could incite fear and justice. Little did I know they were exactly what I had needed. I was abused and broken, and contemplated ending my suffering. I had been pricked by an arrow and fell in love with the man who used it. Cupid was the man in my life and the insufferable mother made it her very mission to destroy me out of fear, out of jealousy, out of so much hatred. A goddess had been betrayed by her very people, Venus had been made of anger and lust. All her love going into the blessed child Cupid.
Ceres(Demeter)-Pinterest
I had been travelling for days doing tasks that Venus would deem impossible for me without the help and sympathy of others. I had all but given up hope of reuniting with my husband, the one that I could not stop thinking about. The man (man to me, God to most) who made me blissfully happy and miserable all at once. I was crawling on the ground, trudging through mud and grass. I was battered and broken, lost and tired. With one single push off the ground, I let out a gasp of air and fell to my side. What I did not see was the dark and dangerous woods, but a statue of Juno, Jupiter’s wife. I then began to pray in my hazy state…
“My goddess, the one I praise and break bread to. The one that I worship in my mind, my heart and my words. Help me… Help me by bringing my love to me, the one I cannot live without.”
Athena(Minerva)-Pinterest
As if in answer to my prayer the air began to pick up, blowing my hair over my once pink lips, now cracked from thirst. I see the most beautiful creature. With long flowing blonde hair and the face of an angel. It was Juno appearing before me. I could scarcely believe my eyes as a tree grew from the ground and I saw Ceres form herself out of nature, forming herself into a tree, her sweet compassionate face showing sorrow for my predicament. Before I could exclaim my gratitude, a loud crack of thunder sounded overhead and a roll of parchment paper that read "PRO DEA, IUSTITIA OMNIBUS" (By the Goddess, Justice for all) fell from the sky and before it could hit the ground it formed into the mighty Minerva. She had stern, strong features, confident in the task at hand.
Juno, who was previously facing me, spun her body and had ridden me of my negative thoughts. Ceres blew flower petals from her hand and soothed my thirst and lastly Minerva pointed her finger outwards and caused an owl to fly forward, its teardrops soothing my broken body.
"Now, child, rise up and tell me what torments your soul so, that it calls on three of us at once," said Minerva.
“Goddess of the Heavens, I have been lost. Lost in this hell Venus has forced me into. Lost in my broken heart. She keeps me from my dear Cupid and her jealousy has no end. I have been given the most undesirable tasks and I cannot do it no more. I just want my love...”
Minerva looked at Ceres and Juno and spoke matter-of-factly. “By the decree of the justice set by 
The Ruins of Ta Prohm-BBC
me, Minerva, you will endure no more suffering."
“You will be happy at our expense,” said Ceres.
“Your love will be yours forever. Do not fret my dear child.” Juno, the mighty Juno, smiled the most beautiful smile and my heart was lifted.
“We will help you and we will protect you,” Minerva said, calling back her owl. She began to spin alongside Juno and Ceres and suddenly I was in the very room of Cupid. His love for me in his eyes, he wept for joy and wept for my suffering. We embraced. 
  -Aftermath of Saving Psyche: As told by Minerva-
It was not long after reuniting Psyche and Cupid that Juno decided that Venus needed punishment for attempting to steal a powerful medallion from Jupiter. Unbeknownst to me Venus was watching from her point of banishment that Juno gave her (she was to live out her days in the Ruins of Ta Prohm in Angkor).Even though sweet naive Psyche lived in happiness we did not. Juno, Ceres and I reaped the many vengeance's of Venus.
Vulcan World on His Shoulder-AlayGorker
With the help of a magical Angkor seer she called forth Venus's jealousy and sent it to Juno causing friction and heartbreak between her and her beloved Jupiter, more so than before. It is with the jealousy that Juno felt that she blamed Jupiter for Vulcan's disfigurement. If he was faithful they would have never been smited in such a way. This ultimately led to her only son Vulcan to be sent down from heaven to prove not only his worthiness to his father, but to hold the weight of the world on his shoulders. His pain and suffering furthered her own immensely.
Ceres's Water Cave-ILTWMT
Precious, sweet Ceres was held another fate, with the water summoned from her very ocean. Minerva, brought forth wave after epic wave on Ceres's land, causing famine and disease. Her world in ruins she hid herself in caves trying to counteract what Venus had done. It was a fruitless endeavor, because the water kept coming.

Minerva's War/Death-Shmoop
As for me, Minerva, I suffered the cruelest of fates. Perhaps it was because I was so swift in my banishment of Venus alongside Juno, or my part in her ridicule at a young age. She had started a war between me and Medusa, inciting that evil word jealousy in her already murderous heart. Even though I cut off Medusa's head in battle it wasn’t till her venomous snakes, attacked me without mercy that I met my fate. It was a quick death, no time to react, but I know that Zeus will avenge my death.
It’s only a matter of time…

Author's Note:
Ceres(Demeter), Jupiter (Zeus), Minerva (Athena), Juno (Hera),Vulcan (Hephaestus)
I worked with the story of Cupid and Psyche, by focusing more on not only Psyche's despair, but the actions of three goddesses. In the story only Demeter and Juno make an appearance, but I felt that Athena is such a strong and relevant goddess I wanted to include her in it. I felt that to give Psyche her happiness there had to be three different ways of approaching it and I thought it would show a little bit of the goddesses range. I wanted to also stay true to Psyche's ending (somewhat), but give punishment to Venus, because let's face it she's really awful.With her being a goddess herself, though, I knew she would not go down quietly. That was the reasoning behind the story. I wanted to see them actually help her, but I wanted to also stay true to the original. I the first part of the story Psyche is the narrator, so to put emphasis on emotion, desperation, and an outsiders view of the Goddesses.
---
The second half of my story is of my own creation. With the story of Cupid and Psyche there is no real repercussion of the Gods and Goddesses. That's why I created a whole Epilogue of what happened to the three Goddesses. Basically, to showcase that your actions can change your future. Also, it the second half of the story Minerva (Athena) takes center role in narrating the story. I always saw Minerva as a stronger more bold character than Juno (Hera) and I think her telling the story gives it a stronger voice.

The Golden Ass, written by Apuleius and translated into English by Tony Kline.
Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche

No comments:

Post a Comment