Friday, November 4, 2016

Story: [[Down the Rabbit Hole]]


Story Title-Yvonne
Run, run as fast as you can. You can't catch me I'm the inventor of "Oh yes, I can!"
I see what you did there, when you took my time machine.
I see what you did there, when you through me down a wishing well.
I see what you did there, when you screamed a girl can't!
I see what you did there.
I felt your hands, they were so cold. I felt your hands, reaching in that dark hole.
Were they? I don't think so.
Did you steal it, did you make it your own? That invention I did not sell, the lady-like endeavors you gave as excuse for my callous disappearance. I was tarnished when you through me down that hole. You greedy rabbit of a man, looking at the clock.
Tick-tocking, tick-tocking away your heart. You through me down that hole, I saw your top hat leaning over as the watch flew past my head.
Down we went and down we sped.
HG Wells-ImgArcade
What's that over there to my right? 
Is that my telescope? Is that my heat ray? I see them fall, with me down. I no longer see your face.
They said where ladies dresses, they said mind your manners. They said don't question, they said don't...
Oh, I didn't listen.
Wishing well, a man through me down a wishing well.
Where is the end? Why haven't I hit it?
What is that, is that my babble machine? Is that my chair?
Maybe that's my book and maybe that's my desk? 
Oh, what is that smell in the air?
Down the Hole Into Madness-CargoCollective
I ran, I ran as fast as I could. How did they catch me the greedy rabbit and the greedy men.
Top hat? Bottom hat, sideways hat. Hat in the air hat on the ground.
Oh! I think I have lost my mind.
Why, oh why? Why did I make that machine, that machine? What machine was that? The topsy turvy machine.
No, no surely that is wrong. I can't remember.
Dark, so dark. I spin, I turn I see the kintescope.
Kintescope! I'm a inventor. I'm,I'm!
ran I ran so fast. I fell I fell just as fast.
I saw you I did, you were a bird. A dodo bird, as dumb as bricks. 
Spinning, wheeling, running, falling.
When will it end.
Down this dark hole, the rabbits hole?
HG Wells-DeviantArt
I see nothing, I hear nothing.
My head, my heart.
I see what you did there.
I see that you didn't care.
I told you my secrets, I told you my soul.
You sold me out for a piece of gold.
I rebelled I said no, no, no! 

You said It doesn't matter.
No one would listen because I didn't do as I was told.
You gathered some men. you gathered them together and behold, the other men were told and they wanted a piece of that gold!
As I fall down this deep dark hole.
I see nothing.
I see nothing.
I see nothing, oh no!
Oh no! 
I closed my eyes, I closed them so.
I hit the water, I think.
I don't know. All I see is darkness all I see is nothing.
All I hear is nothing.
I'm gone.

Author's Note:
In Alice in Wonderland, Alice falls down the hole after chasing the white rabbit, in the hole she sees various things and her mind begins to play tricks on her causing her to rhyme and think incoherently. In my story, it is not Alice that falls down the hole, but it is HG Wells that gets thrown down a well.Yes, the HG Wells. I wanted to really show what it would be like for someone else to fall down the hole, especially someone who is supposed to have a scientific mind. A showing of a sane person's descent into madness. I decided to change the gender of HG Wells because I thought it would have been more powerful, if it was a woman and her life's work was questioned. Not only that it would cause insane jealousy on the part of the men. In Victorian times, women were not seen to have the ability to do many things and I wanted to show the possibility of what could have happened in these cases. In my story, unlike Alice, HG cannot cope with the attempted murder she was faced with and begins to question everything about herself. It's not an imagination gone wild like it was Alice, it's a more darker descent in being able to cope. I didn't want everything to be the same and that's why instead of a hole it's a well and in my story the rabbit, the mad hatter and others are metaphors for different men that were chasing her. In the end the I'm gone. Is supposed to symbolize the loss of her mind completely.
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (1865). Alice in Wonderland.
H.G. Wells: Science Fiction Technology and Ideas


No comments:

Post a Comment